[email protected] সোমবার, ১৭ আগস্ট ২০২৬
২ ভাদ্র ১৪৩৩
USA

Trump Welcomes Mecca Defense Pact as Tensions Rise Over Iran and Southern Lebanon

17 August 2026 19:08 PM

NEWS DESK

File Photo

U.S. President Donald Trump has welcomed the newly signed Mecca Joint Defense Pact between Saudi Arabia, Türkiye, and Pakistan, describing it as an important step toward stronger regional security. Meanwhile, Iran has criticized Canada's participation in the U.S.-led military campaign against Tehran, while Israeli military operations in southern Lebanon have continued despite an ongoing ceasefire.

In a post on Truth Social on Sunday, Trump said he was "very pleased" that Saudi Arabia, Türkiye, and Pakistan had finalized the Mecca Joint Defense Pact.

He said the agreement demonstrated how the Middle East was becoming more united and better positioned to strengthen its collective defense capabilities.

Congratulating the three countries' leaders, Trump described the pact as "a big, bold, and important first step."

Iran strongly criticized Canada's involvement in the U.S. military campaign against Tehran.

Iranian Foreign Ministry spokesperson Esmaeil Baghaei questioned Ottawa's decision in a social media post on Sunday, arguing that Canada continued to support Washington despite what he described as repeated U.S. pressure.

Baghaei said the United States had referred to Canada as its "51st state," imposed tariffs on Canadian goods, and threatened Ottawa on several issues. Despite this, he claimed Canada had joined the U.S.-led campaign against Iran in an effort to satisfy Washington.

"What is Canada getting in return?" Baghaei asked, adding sarcastically, "This isn't Hockey Night in Canada; it's Washington's farm team."

Earlier in March, Canadian Prime Minister Mark Carney said Canada was prepared to assist efforts to reopen the Strait of Hormuz, signaling Ottawa's support for broader U.S. objectives in the Middle East.

Despite the ceasefire between Israel and Lebanon, Israeli forces continued military operations in southern Lebanon on Sunday, raising fresh concerns over regional stability.

According to Lebanon's state news agency, Israeli troops opened fire with automatic weapons in the western part of the town of Hadatha in the Bint Jbeil district. Israeli military vehicles were also reported moving through the town.

Israel launched a large-scale air campaign in Lebanon on March 2 and seized several areas in the country's south. Lebanese authorities say more than one million people were displaced during the offensive.

Although the Israel-Lebanon ceasefire, which took effect on April 17, has been extended several times, Israeli airstrikes have continued. Lebanon's Health Ministry says 4,346 people have been killed since the fighting resumed on March 2.

Early Monday, Israeli airstrikes were reported on the outskirts of Al-Qantara in southern Lebanon, while local media said Israeli forces also shelled the town of Al-Mansouri.

In Kafra, also in the Bint Jbeil district, an explosives-laden drone struck a house, damaging part of the building and injuring two civilians. Local reports said the town had also been targeted earlier by a quadcopter drone.

Israeli military activity was also reported in Jabal Ali al-Taher, Dawhat Kafr Roumman, Deir Siryan, and Al-Qantara, while local sources said an Israeli tank had entered the Wadi al-Hujair area.

Some residents accused Israel of carrying out repeated attacks to pressure civilians into leaving their homes, claiming that areas perceived to support resistance groups were being deliberately targeted.

The latest developments come after seven members of the same family were reportedly killed and three others injured in an Israeli strike on the town of Ansar on Saturday, raising public skepticism about Lebanese government efforts to pursue peace through direct negotiations with Israel.

Israeli media reported that the Israeli military is preparing for the possibility of several days of intensified fighting in southern Lebanon.

According to Channel 12, citing unnamed military sources, Israel is planning additional strikes targeting Hezbollah's infrastructure and intends to continue operations until those sites are destroyed.

The report also claimed that dozens of Hezbollah members were trapped in underground positions in the Jabal Ali al-Taher area, although no evidence was provided to support the claim.

Channel 12 further reported that Israel had exercised some restraint in recent days to avoid undermining U.S.-mediated negotiations with the Lebanese government. According to the report, Israeli political leaders withheld approval for some military operations proposed by the army in order to preserve the diplomatic process.

Despite ongoing U.S.-brokered mediation efforts, tensions along the Israel-Lebanon border continue to rise. Lebanese authorities say Israeli military operations since March 2 have killed 4,346 people, injured 12,301 others, and displaced more than one million residents.

Lebanese sources also claim that Israeli forces continue to occupy several areas in southern Lebanon, with some territories under Israeli control for decades and others seized during the 2023–24 conflict. According to those sources, Israeli troops have advanced more than 10 kilometers into Lebanese territory during the current operation.

Comments Here:

Related Topic