Canada has suspended ongoing trade negotiations with the United States, citing a lack of sufficient progress toward a mutually acceptable agreement.
Canadian Prime Minister Mark Carney confirmed the decision in a statement late Friday, saying Ottawa had been working to secure the best possible access to the U.S. market while protecting the interests of Canadian businesses and workers.
Carney said Canada had made significant progress in strengthening its position in global markets, but the results were not enough to meet the expectations of Canadians.
He said the Canadian negotiating team had worked with “integrity and dedication” until the final stage of the talks to protect the country’s interests. However, several conditions proposed by the United States at the last minute were unfair and unacceptable, he said, raising questions about the credibility of any potential agreement.
Carney has ordered all Canadian negotiators based in Washington to return immediately to Ottawa following the suspension of the talks.
The move came as the United States prepared to impose 50% tariffs on about $28 billion worth of Canadian goods from midnight Saturday. Canada has said it would respond with tariffs of its own on an equivalent value of U.S. goods to protect Canadian businesses and workers.
The two countries had resumed negotiations in Washington on Friday morning, just hours before a deadline for the United States to impose 50% tariffs on goods worth around C$30 billion.
Both sides had previously indicated that they were close to reaching a deal, while U.S. President Donald Trump had also suggested that a “very good” agreement could be reached.
The suspension of talks now raises fresh uncertainty over trade relations between the two North American economic partners and the potential impact of the new tariffs on businesses and consumers in both countries.
Comments Here: