19 February 2026 13:02 PM
NEWS DESK
Russia has cautioned the United States against launching any new military strikes on Iran, warning that such action could lead to serious consequences. Russian Foreign Minister Sergey Lavrov said further escalation would risk destabilizing the region and undermining recent diplomatic progress.
In an interview aired Wednesday, Lavrov urged patience and called for efforts to find a negotiated solution that would allow Tehran to pursue what it describes as a peaceful nuclear program.
His remarks came a day after indirect talks between U.S. and Iranian representatives were held in Geneva, aimed at preventing a deepening crisis over Iran’s nuclear activities.
Lavrov said the consequences of renewed military action “would not be good,” noting that Iranian nuclear facilities operating under the supervision of the International Atomic Energy Agency have previously been targeted. “From that incident, we can assume there was a real risk of a nuclear accident,” he said.
In the interview, later published by Russia’s Foreign Ministry, Lavrov said he had been closely monitoring reactions from Arab and Gulf states in the region. “No one wants the escalation to grow. Everyone understands this is playing with fire,” he said.
Lavrov also warned that rising tensions could undermine positive diplomatic developments achieved in recent years, including improved relations between Iran and neighboring countries such as Saudi Arabia.
He reiterated Moscow’s call for restraint and dialogue to avoid further destabilization in the Middle East.
Comments Here: