[email protected] বৃহঃস্পতিবার, ২১ মে ২০২৬
৭ জ্যৈষ্ঠ ১৪৩৩

Trump–Netanyahu Clash Emerges Over Next Steps in Iran Conflict

21 May 2026 22:05 PM

NEWS DESK

File Photo

A sharp disagreement has emerged between U.S. President Donald Trump and Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu over the next phase of the Iran conflict, according to a Trump administration official.

The tension reportedly surfaced during a phone call on Tuesday, where the two leaders exchanged heated remarks over how to proceed following the latest escalation involving Iran.

The disagreement followed an earlier conversation on Sunday, during which Trump reportedly discussed the possibility of renewed strikes on Iran early this week under a proposed operation dubbed “Operation Sledgehammer.”

However, within 24 hours of that call, Trump reversed course and suspended the planned strikes, reportedly following appeals from Gulf allies including Qatar, Saudi Arabia, and the United Arab Emirates.

Diplomatic channels have since remained active, with Gulf states engaging the White House and Pakistani intermediaries in efforts to advance negotiations.

Speaking to reporters on Wednesday, Trump said discussions on Iran were nearing a critical stage, warning that Washington could take “very strong action” if no agreement is reached, while also expressing hope for a peaceful settlement.

Netanyahu, however, has reportedly pushed for immediate military action, arguing that any delay would give Iran strategic advantages. Israeli officials say he has consistently advocated for a hardline approach.

During Tuesday’s call, Netanyahu reportedly urged Trump to proceed with previously discussed military plans and criticized the decision to pause the strikes. The conversation allegedly lasted about an hour and reflected deep differences over strategy.

Following the call, concerns reportedly spread among senior Israeli officials, who believe Iran may be gaining time due to diplomatic delays.

Despite Israeli pressure, Trump indicated on Wednesday that he intends to maintain control over the decision-making process, suggesting that Netanyahu would ultimately follow Washington’s lead.

Meanwhile, Iran’s Foreign Ministry said Tehran and Washington continue to exchange messages through Pakistani mediation, with a 14-point U.S. proposal under review. However, major disagreements remain unresolved, particularly over Iran’s nuclear program and frozen assets.

Trump has also reiterated that military options remain on the table, warning that the United States is fully prepared to act swiftly if diplomatic efforts fail.

 

Comments Here:

Related Topic