[email protected] রবিবার, ২২ ফেব্রুয়ারি ২০২৬
১০ ফাল্গুন ১৪৩২
USA

Trump Raises Temporary Import Tariff to 15% After Supreme Court Blocks Previous Plan

22 February 2026 15:02 PM

NEWS DESK

File Photo

US President Donald Trump on Saturday announced that the temporary tariff on all imported goods would be raised from 10 percent to 15 percent, just 24 hours after the Supreme Court of the United States struck down his earlier tariff programme.

Court Ruling Sparks Immediate Response

On Friday, the Supreme Court ruled 6–3 that Trump had exceeded his authority by imposing high-rate tariffs under emergency economic powers legislation. Shortly after the ruling, Trump introduced a 10 percent tariff. A day later, he increased the rate to 15 percent.

The new measure is based on a separate legal provision known as “Section 122,” which allows tariffs of up to 15 percent for 150 days. Any extension beyond that period would require congressional approval. No previous US president has invoked this specific authority.

Legal experts suggest the move could trigger fresh court challenges.

Congressional Uncertainty

Several trade specialists and members of Congress have questioned whether the Republican-majority legislature would approve an extension of the higher tariff rate beyond the 150-day limit.

Recent opinion polls indicate a growing number of Americans blame tariffs for rising consumer prices, adding political pressure to the administration’s trade strategy.

Chief Justice’s Opinion

Chief Justice John Roberts, writing for the majority, said the president had claimed “extraordinary authority” to impose tariffs unilaterally, without limits on duration or scope. He noted that given the scale and historical context of such powers, clear congressional authorization was required.

The court further stated that the emergency powers cited by Trump were insufficient to justify the sweeping tariffs.

Trump Criticises the Court

Trump sharply criticised the ruling, calling the 6–3 decision “a disgrace for the nation.” Speaking at a press conference after the verdict, he claimed the court had been influenced by foreign interests and described the liberal justices as “a shame for the country.” He also criticised conservative justices who sided with the majority, calling their votes “unconstitutional and unpolitical.”

Despite the setback, Trump said he would not retreat from his tariff agenda. He argued that under the Trade Expansion Act of 1962, he retains full legal authority to impose tariffs.

“I have the right to impose tariffs, and I always have,” Trump said. “This ruling will not stop me.”

The decision and the administration’s swift response have injected fresh uncertainty into global trade and financial markets, with analysts warning of significant implications for international commerce.

Comments Here:

Related Topic